Tuesday, February 17, 2009

17

At S M is a very short song lyrics post. It came to me during my sleep time. - I sometimes go to another blog on a whim, and I often find something meaningful to me. That happened today at Noah Cicero's, Loren Webster's, and Mark Wallace's. Wallace had a post I left a fairly long comment beneath. His post is: Michael Theune on Third Way Poetics and my comment is the fifth one. * Third Way does not qualify as a movement. It may qualify as a category name for a poet who does not wish to be associated with any coterie and with coteries whose members contend their poetics keep them outside of accepted historical movements. Michael Theune obviously knows more about contemporary poets than many of us do, and I think it would be good if he pro- vided a list beyond what he has provided here. Such a variety of approaches to language occurred in the 20th Century that many now feel free to do as they please. Several days ago Joseph Hutchison placed a link to D. A. Powell in a post on his blog. I knew of Powell before his ap- pearance at Harriet, but I hadn't seen a photo of him nor read a biography of him nor read an essay on poetics by him. All these are at AAP. The photo has a haunting quality, the biography explains the photo, and the essay substantiates the biography. It is a fine essay. I was most struck by Powell's simile/ metaphor/metonomy reasoning: each thing is its own thing; no thing is another thing; no thing is like another thing. This is why simile and metaphor have/ lost the power they once had. Does this place him closer to the so-called Language poets? Can't say. What I can say is that the technologies created by humans/ moved the experiences of the everyday away from simple unities and toward more complex atomizations. Now we get such questions as: "Is God a mathematician?" Better stop before I disappear over a cliff. - A response from one Jordan Davis to me regarding the capitalism part of my #70 comment at Kasey S. Mohammad's Lime Tree showed up in the stream there. It is a good response. I knew I might get in trouble over it. Tomorrow I'll try to respond back. - AAP means American Academy of Poets. D. A. Powell A link to his essay is on the right. rho00293

No comments: