Friday, April 11, 2008

Poet Poet

Precipitated by a technical hold at PF's Harriet, Linh Dinh's ninth post exists in three places: here (where there are 10 comments) here here The second comment at the second site supports (more vividly) a part of my comment at the first site. However, the comments at each site should be read. Also, Aaron McCollough's provocative: "Self-Consuming Artifacts ... towards an unquiet metaphysics"--which Ron Silliman provided a link to--references and discusses Linh Dinh's post. Although bickerings over aesthetics are not without value, I prefer to observe and learn from them. That may change. There appears to be a growing group of poets moving towards the metaphysical, towards a positive metaphysics, which is where--even when most down--I have always been. Still, I usually am not a beat-the- drum type. I am too variegated. Questions ever haunt me. As I once wrote: Uncertainty is my milieu. That is why I often compare my being to air. I am posting this but it is still in draft. Aaron McCollough has added a second post on the topic of an "unquiet metaphysics". As a way in he reveals some childhood facts. It happens that mine are similar to his; so I am going to reveal some of mine. I was raised as a Roman Catholic in Wisconsin in the 1940's and 1950's. Love of neighbor (and enemy) are also important to me. He cites a passage from the Bible which imprinted itself in his mind. One which has imprinted itself in my mind is from the prayer to God the Father which Jesus taught his disciples: . . . and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. Several years back I began to understand this passage in a way I had not so clearly understood it, and it was all due to the "as" in it. What is being said here is that God the Father only needs to forgive us our tresspasses to the extent that we are willing to forgive the tresspasses of others against us. Sadly, for me it is easier to do that than it is for me to forgive myself. ~ ~ Rho00055

No comments: